Mercedes-AMG have finally revealed new generation A45 and CLA45 models. These compact performance cars were famed for having the most powerful 2-litre engines in production and delivering extreme performance in compact, premium packaging. The successor models take this format and evolve the formula with the latest chassis and MBUX advancements.
Model Line Up
To make things clear, here’s what Mercedes-AMG showed in one go. We’ll break each of these down seperately.
- Two body styles: A-Class 5 door (W177) and CLA 4-door (C118)
- Two power outputs: 45 4MATIC+ and 45 S 4MATIC+
- New 2-litre turbocharged ‘M139’ petrol engine
Two body styles: A-Class and CLA
If you’re unfamiliar with the A-Class and CLA, check our nomenclature article for details. If you are, just know that both of these cars are getting similar performance options. They’re both getting 45 and 45 S outputs.
The exterior of both cars will be getting these:
- AMG-specific radiator grille with wider lower contour and 12 vertical louvres
- Wider front wings
- flared wheel arches (more pronounced on the A45 than CLA45)
- A45 gets ‘jet-wing’ front apron design (horizontal fins, stretched lower air inlet)
- CLA45 gets a look more akin to the AMG GT 4-door Coupe.
- AMG side skirts (Silver or High-Gloss Black, depending on package)
- 8.5J x 18″ 10-spoke light alloy wheels in tantalum grey with 245/40 R18 tyres on 45 models
- 8.5J x 19″ 5-twin spoke light alloy wheels in tantalum grey (high-sheen finish) with 245/35 R19 tyres on A45 S. C45 S gets 9 inch wide wheels with 255/35 R19 versions of the same.
- AMG high-performance braking system with grey-painted brake callipers with white AMG lettering for 45 models
- Larger, red-painted 6-piston brake callipers with black AMG lettering on 45 S models
- two round twin tailpipes (82mm) on 45 models
- 90mm tailpipes with internal fluting and AMG letting on 45 S models
- slim two piece rear light clusters
- two vertical twin fins on A45 diffuser, four individual fins on CLA45
- spoiler lip
- Optional AMG Aerodynamic package adds modified front splitter, flics on front apron, diffuser blade, side spoiler lips on rear apron and spoiler, larger spoiler lip
The bodyshell of both vehicles have been extensively reinforced in the following ways:
- Lightweight aluminium plate is bolted under the engine
- Strut tower brace between front suspension struts
- Additional reinforcing plates connecting side members to A-pillars
- Diagonal struts at front and rear of underbody
45 vs 45 S
The cars are all powered by 2-litre M139 inline-4 engine. Each of these engines is handmade using the “One Man, One Engine” principle. They’re all linked to AMG Performance 4MATIC+ fully variable all-wheel drive with AMG TORQUE CONTROL and 8-speed AMG Speedshift DCTs.
The standard A45 and CLA45 performance:
- 387 hp @ 6500rpm
- 480 Nm @ 4750-5000rpm
- 0-100km/h in 4.0s (A45) and 4.1s (CLA45)
- Top speed of 250km/h
The A45 S and CLA 45 S performance:
- 421 hp @ 6750rpm
- 500 Nm @ 5000-5250rpm
- 0-100km/h in 3.9s (A45 S) and 4.0s (CLA45 S)
- Top speed of 270km/h
New M139 Engine
Now we’ve got to talk about the most important aspect, the new M139 engine. This is now the world’s most powerful turbocharged 4 cylinder engine in mass production. It has 40hp more than the engine it replaces, with about 25Nm more torque. Output per litre of displacement is an insane 211hp. Power delivery was made to mimic that of a naturally aspirated engine and it has a maximum redline of 7200rpm.