If you think big burly SUVs have no business going fast, BMW have two answers for you: the new X5 M50i and the X7 M50i. They’ve gone and plonked uprated versions of their 4.4L V8 engines into the large X5 and the LARGER X7 as a sort of ‘almost M’ variant of their cars. That’s 530hp and 750Nm of torque for something designed to move families in peace.
These two models will both be produced in BMW’s US Spartanburg plant. Neither of these will find their way to Malaysia, so there’s no real point in going into much detail.
But here are some key things that are special about these vehicles:
- Model-specific suspension has been tuned by BMW M
- 21 inch M light alloy wheels with mixed tyres (22 inch light alloy wheels optional)
- electromechanical steering with Servotronic function
- M sport brake system with blue-coated brake calipers
- X5 M50i is equipped with Adaptive M suspension, X7 M50i is fitted with adaptive dual axle air suspension (optional on X5 M50i)
- Optional integral active steering is available for both models
- extra-large air inlets in the front apron
- unique design of the side sills and rear apron
- BMW individual high-gloss Shadow Line with selected design elements in Cerium Grey
- M leather steering wheel, a gear selector lever displaying the M logo
- Vernasca leather upholstery with contrast stitching and perforated surfaces
- Illuminated entry sills displaying the ’M50i’ logo
- headliner in Anthracite (BMW X5 M50i) or Alcantara Anthracite (BMW X7 M50i)
- Hi-Fi loudspeaker system (BMW X5 M50i) or Harman Kardon surround sound system (BMW X7 M50i).