In early 2019, Daihatsu engaged with Toyota to create a more performance-oriented Copen. They worked with Toyota’s GAZOO Racing division to create this: the Copen GR SPORT – a convertible Kei car with performance parts everywhere you look. Today, Toyota announced that its dealerships in Japan would start selling this Daihatsu-manufactured front-wheel-drive mini roadster.
The Copen GR SPORT utilises the same turbocharged, 658cc, 3-cylinder petrol KF engine that it had under the hood originally. It’s good for just 63hp and 92Nm of torque, but since the vehicle weighs just 850-870kg, this is enough for a bit of fun. The Copen GR SPORT also retains two gearbox options: a 5-speed manual and a CVT with 7 simulated ratios.
But there’s plenty of improvements in the performance and cosmetics department. Here’s what Toyota’s GAZOO Racing team added or tuned:
- Special front bumper and special radiator grille (functional MATRIX Grille)
- Special rear bumper (diffuser shaped)
- Exclusive BBS forged-aluminum wheels (special matte gray color paint)
- Special LED headlights + black extensions-toned decoration
- Special LED rear combination taillights + black-toned decoration
- Special LED fog lights / fog lights bezel
- GR SPORT emblem (front / side / rear)
- Special RECARO seats (GR embroidery logo)
- Dedicated self-lighting triple meter display (GR logo / red needle / red lighting)
- Special leather-wrapped steering wheel manufactured by MOMO (GR emblem + spoke part gun metallic-toned)
- Special piano black-toned (center cluster / door grip)
- Special tuning shock absorber (coil spring red paint)
- Special tuning electric power steering
- Special front brace added
- Special center brace where they changed the shape (special spats beneath the floor panels included)
- Front super LSD (manual car standards)
Toyota say this GR SPORT tuning gives the Copen sportscar-like hard-riding characteristics, as the focus has been on increasing body rigidity and improving suspension tuning. The steering response was also tweaked to allow users to handle 100% of the small motor’s power output.
In terms of design, the GAZOO Racing signature Functional MATRIX grille is found here. It actually improves cooling performance and the front bumper’s shape helps with airflow.
Inside, you get specially made RECARO seats and a new ‘self-lighting’ instrument cluster. A piano black centre cluster goes up against an all-black interior.
The Active Top convertible roof is electrified as standard on this GR SPORT model, too. Customers will also be able to purchase the following GR Parts: