You can be the safest, most courteous driver out there but it is what it is when you get into a car crash, AN ACCIDENT! When you find yourself in this situation, it is best to know what the next step in solving this mishap.
AT THE SCENE
- Keep calm and breath. You’re in an unexpected situation but there are ways to solve this. Remind yourself that panicking would not benefit any party. Take a moment to absorb it and calm yourself down.
- Check for casualties. Are you hurt? Is anyone with you or around you are hurt? If so, call 999. If your passengers or yourself are hurt, it’s best to not move until help arrives.
- Move your car to the side. If your car could still run, cautiously move it to the side to make way for other motorists. If there’s no possible way to move it, place the warning triangle few feet from your car to notify oncoming traffic or turn on your hazard light if it’s dark.
- Assess your car. Once you’re sure your car is out of other motorist’s way, check your car on the extent of the damage. Take pictures as proof as you might need them if you are going to lodge a police report. Talk to the other party and decide whether to settle between yourselves or if one of you prefer to claim insurance instead.
- If one of you decide on an insurance claim, then it is a must to file a police report regarding this event. This is because, without a proper police statement, it is not possible for you to apply for an insurance claim. Keep in mind that if you are found guilty (the reason for the crash), you will be summoned by the police a certain amount and it has to be paid within a month from the date of the accident.
- If you’re on the guilty party and the damages are minor, it is best to not claim insurance as it will damage your no claim discount (NCD). If the other party were to found guilty, you could claim from your own insurance without affecting your NCD.
- If you and the other party decide to put up for the claim, contact your insurance agency and let them guide you through the process.
- Once the papers get sorted, it’s time to bring your car to the assigned workshop by your insurance agency.